Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the magazine rack



At Borders today, waiting to purchase 4 awesome notebooks just because I LOVE notebooks, I had a few moments (actually more than a few sheesh that cashier could talk!) to scan over the front pages of various magazines that were staring at me. Yay, I feel like a better person for looking at them, NOT. And thanks to the brilliant magazine makers who come up with these headlines and ideas. NOT. Seriously people, get a clue.

Front page 1: Two gay men holding their new baby boy. Is this not frightening for our society?!! And that poor baby, does he have a chance in this world?

Front page 2: Beautiful woman showing she knows how to wear almost nothing in front of the world and she also knows how to make "sexy face." What good does this do me? Or anyone for that matter? There are alot of beautiful women out there but I appreciate the ones who know how to get dressed, respect their beauty, and who know how to smile. All she really is saying is sex. And I would hope that's not all that she's good for. But who knows these days. Where is strength of character?

Front page 3: "How to have the greatest sex ever"... or something like that. But really, how would they know? What makes them think they know and can teach us what it is? 'Cause I can tell you it's not what they are thinking or what the tv and movies are showing. The greatest sex isn't grimy, lustful, degrading or selfish. It's not something to be lauded on covers of silly magazines. It's more than that. Much more. It's beautiful, deep and wholesome and is the ultimate unifier between husband and wife. It's lovely, and the greatest when it's all about LOVE. So what do they know? And are people really going to them to find out anyhow? How sad, because in doing so they will never find "the greatest sex ever."

Front page 4: "Bad girl sex"... see commentary for front page 3.

Front page 5: "Gay Teens On TV." Oh yeah, let's promote it, let's teach our kids that it is normal and fun and A-OK and that maybe they should even try it. TV is getting better and better I tell ya!

Oh, and I'm just getting started... there were many, many more! You know, you've seen them, so I'll spare you, that's enough.

I think, well I hope, you get the picture.

4 comments:

Erin Davis said...

I totally agree! There are so many horrible things in our world today! I just want to cover my kids eyes and ears!!! :)

crvinton said...

We absolutely live in an insane world, and so much of what it teaches is WRONG! Thanks for calling it what it is.

ermakaluso said...

It made me smile when you said you love notebooks... because that is one memory I have of you! (Elisa asked me who started you on your mission notebook with lots of quotes... I can't remember who that was?)
Just an interesting tidbit, a guy in our stake in Pleasanton is the lead graphic artist for GAP and their websites. Everything that is published passes his desk. He would do firesides about "What is Real?" and show what the model looked like and what a few clothespins and graphic creativity would do to the models. Super interesting & amazing...so now when I see magazine covers, I know the people are as normal as I am... assuming I am normal!

Dan said...

You totally just talked about sex in the context of your life and relationship with your husband and I kinda had to stop reading.

STILL-- love your point about women and sex. "Sexual empowerment" and all it's clothe-stripping, sultry, come-hither artifice has pretty much done the opposite of empower-- rather enslave and reaffirm what women were trying to redefine. Instead of power brokers, women as portrayed on these covers are playing into the archaic male fantasy: women are for sex and having your way with and they WANT IT.

I'm increasingly tired of the oversexualization of everything. Or maybe I'm getting old.

Anyway.