Saturday, October 15, 2011

On my own



That's right. On my own. No one is with me. Not even Eliza. I have been given (by my dear and wonderful husband) a few days of freedom, peace and quiet! And it gets even better! My few days of peace and quiet are at the beach!
Earlier this week I was feeling down in the dumps, angry, frustrated, trapped. Not because I don't have a beautiful life. Not because I don't love who I'm with or what I've chosen to do with my life. But simply because I was bogged down. Bogged down by the normal every day things that a mother and wife has to do and deal with. You know, the whining, the fighting, the arguing, the explaining, the cleaning, the laundry, the cooking, the preparing, the getting ready for school, the putting to bed, the diaper changing, the appointments, the noise, the tiredness, the issue of not enough time and always too much to do, the sports, the play dates, the planning of entertainment, the issues, the duties!!! Oh, and you know that's not all. There is more, much more. So in the depths of the trenches I just yearned to get away. Alone. So I asked Dave what days he had off this week (his schedule is letting up a bit! Yay!) and he told me Fri-Mon. Really? "Well then" I said, "I would like to take a getaway by myself." Without hesitation he said, "Yes, you should, you deserve it." I don't really feel like I deserve it. But I did feel that the depths of my inner self needed it!
I began looking on the map as to where I would like to go. And I decided I didn't need to go anywhere far, and I do like the beach... So I found an awesome hotel right on the beach on North Padre Island, Corpus Christi. And I got it for super cheap! I saved $50/night off the published price! That always makes you feel even better about it doesn't it?!
So Friday morning came and I packed up swimming suits, my bike, my cameras, my laptop, and a heap of excitement! I decided to take Dave's truck down because how fun is that to drive a truck out on the beach. Plus I just love his truck anyhow. And in the planning of this getaway I decided it would be fun for me to be alone on Fri., Sat. and half of Sun. and then Dave and the kids would drive down Sunday afternoon and stay through Monday with me. And wouldn't the kids love a drive on the beach in the back of the truck too?
I headed out. About 2 hours on my way I decided to pull over to get gas as I had just less than a 1/4 tank left. I got out of the truck, opened the gas tank door and tried to open the gas cap. Locked. Locked???? But I didn't have a key!!! I knew then that I was in deep trouble. I didn't have enough gas to get me back to San Antonio and probably barely enough to get me into Corpus Christi, but not out to the island to my hotel! A nice old Harley grandpa saw my problem and tried to help. But there really is nothing you can do to get gas when your gas cap is locked and you don't have the key! So I called Dave. He said he could drive down and give me the key and then drive home or I should try calling a nearby dealership. (I can't believe he was so kind enough to offer driving 4 hours just to get me the dang gas key!) I got back on the road and decided I'd see if I could get into Corpus Christi before running out of gas, because at least then my chances of finding help would be a little better than being out in the boonies like I was at that point. So I got on the road and called a couple Toyota dealerships in Corpus. They said Toyota didn't put locking gas caps on and it was an after market thing the previous owner had installed. They could break it off and put a new one on for $20 plus labor. But could I make it there and how long would I have to wait? This was my precious alone time you know?
So next idea was to call my Geico road side assistance. The operator told me they could have locksmiths come out and pick the ignition or door, but not the gas cap. She also told me they could bring me gas if I ran out... but they wouldn't be able to get it in! That was no help, seriously. So desperately I asked the operator, "Now what am I supposed to do?" She was a kind woman and decided to help me! She put me on hold and called around to all the locksmiths in Corpus. She got back on the line and told me she had found one shop that could unlock my gas cap for $18 but I would have to drive to the shop! Oh man, I just prayed that it was on my way and that I would have enough gas to get there! Thank heavens for cell phones, gps, and prayers. Because the one shop in all of Corpus that could help me WAS on my way. And I ended up having enough gas that I DID make it to the shop (just barely on fumes I might add!). And it only took an extra 15 minutes to get it taken care of, and they made me new keys for the cap and there was a gas station VERY close by. Now how's that for feeling like the Lord was really watching over me? And I felt at peace the whole time, well mostly :). There were a few tense minutes when the needle was touching empty and I still had 20 miles to go that I wondered if I would make it. But I still felt like everything would work out. And it did, and so smoothly at that!
When I got to the hotel I was so happy to have arrived! I was early but decided to go in anyway and see if I could check in. I also had hopes of sweet talking the front desk into upgrading my basic room to a balcony on the beach. I know. My hopes are always so high. The front desk lady informed me they were pretty booked due to a high school reunion this weekend, but after I told her my story of the locked gas cap and friendly chatting with her, she said she could upgrade me to the top floor balcony where the sun sets beautifully!!! Yes!!! God bless that woman!
I got up to my room and it was wonderful. It's just so nice to have a balcony and a view! Even if it isn't a view of the ocean, at least I do have a view of a lagoon and the sunset! And it has 2 queen beds for when the family comes to join me. It's just perfect!
After getting settled in my room I decided to take a very long walk on the beach. It was awesome being able to choose what I wanted to do without any complaints, and deciding to where and how long I wanted to walk without any whining! So I walked to a nice fishing pier and enjoyed the view from there, watching the fish in schools swimming below me. It was perfect weather with a beautiful breeze. I was in heaven!
After my walk I decided to drive down to Padre National Seashore. That was fun, peaceful and pretty and I saw a place I might like to go kayaking and also saw some deer, pretty dunes, birds and drove the truck out on the beach.
By then I was getting hungry and the sun was setting. Again, it was so fun deciding what I felt like eating without having to take any considerations for what others may or may not like feel like eating! So I went to this local Italian food restaraunt. There was live music and it was a very lively and fun place. I ate salad, bread, baked ziti and cheesecake. I saved half of it for my dinner for tonight. People may have thought it was awkward for me to be there alone, at a table by myself surrounded by couples and families, but it was not. I really enjoyed the food, people watching, listening to the good music and knowing that in a couple days I would be surrounded by my beautiful family once again! I enjoyed the night!
Before I could head back to the hotel I needed to stop by the local Wal-Mart in hopes that they would have a Presta bike pump. I had forgotten to bring my pump from home and when unloading my bike at the hotel I realized that my front tire was way flat. Sand and flat tires don't mix! Well at Wal-Mart all I could find were pumps for Schrader valves. Ugh. I couldn't believe it! I really wanted to be able to take a ride out on the beach in the early morning. I prayed. I looked again. Nope. All Schrader. I almost walked away. Then I felt to look at this one single pump that was the same looking as all the rest but was in black instead of red. And lo and behold. ONE lonely Presta pump! Unbelievable! I snatched it right up, thanked my Heavenly Father for his loving kindness and headed out. Sometimes I feel like I am Heavenly Father's only child. I am stunned by how little things (and big) just fall into place as we seek His help and companionship.
Back at the hotel I spent the rest of the night watching and listening to uplifting programs on the Mormon Channel studying how I can make myself a better person, Mom and wife. That's also what this getaway is about!
I slept in until 8am! Then went out on the balcony and read my scriptures as the sun peeked through the clouds. Then I pumped up my bike tire (hurray!) and left for a refreshing and long bike ride on the beach. What a beautiful morning!! What I didn't realize though in riding out was that the wind was at my back. So what took me 20 minutes to ride down the beach, took me an hour to ride back :). But I found some pretty shells and barnacles, saw some pretty birds, and enjoyed the sun and sea in the morning light!
Now it is afternoon and I am going to take a drive along the coast up to a National Wildlife Refuge to check out what I can there. It could be a long drive and I think I will enjoy it so I should while I can, and while I don't have to torture my kids in doing so! Maybe I will take a dolphin cruise this evening or just take it easy and come back to the hotel and read a good book or sit on the beach. Isn't this just beautiful? Boy do I feel spoiled! I tell my kids it's ok to be spoiled, as long as you're not rotten. I hope I never turn rotten!
Off to adventure...
Back from adventure...
So I drove up the coast, through Port Aransas and took the car ferry over the canal. Fun! Then I drove 2 hours up to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. It is right on the coast and once you pull into the refuge it is just gorgeous! Lush and green against the blue water and sky. Lots of birds gliding on the ocean breeze. Big oaks and wild flowers. So when I pulled up the gentleman who stopped me let me know it was free day today. Bonus! And that there were activities and booths going on for the next 1/2 hour. So I hurried in to see what was going on. A woman ranger told me there were different booths and food (that they were actually starting to take down) to see but that I could probably make it in time to take a kayak out down by the fishing pier. Kayak?! What?? Hurray! That's just what I had wanted to do while I was on my special getaway but I had decided not to pay the money to do it. Earlier that morning I had said a prayer that the Lord would help me know what to do that day to make the most of my time and do the things I should do. Well looky now! I drove out to the fishing pier and made it just in time to take a kayak out! It was just lovely! The kayaks were tandem and they found a woman named Lynn to go out with me. That was nice because she could inform me of some things in the area. The waves were high and so I got completely drenched, but at least the water was not cold and I wasn't wearing white. It was a whole lot of fun and that little kayak trip made my day! There were mullet jumping all over just like in Florida. Lots of things on this trip have reminded me of Florida. Love it. See why I say I feel like an only child?
Luckily I had a towel in the truck so I could dry off a little. Next I took the 16 mile scenic drive. They have all sorts of animals in the park but all I saw were a few white tailed deer. What I really wanted to see were alligators and the wild hogs. Lynn told me they were very common. Well, shucks, not yesterday! Not a one! Because of the drought all the lakes and swampy areas were just prairies. I guess they are usually teeming with gators. Where are they all now? But I did stop and take a short hike out for a view of the bay and took some photos. It was so beautiful!!! There was this huge, old oak tree, with those large twisting limbs that spread out so far and make a canopy at the end of the path. And I saw an osprey and just enjoyed the wildflowers and peaceful aloness, until I heard this sound and there was this man standing behind me. Scared me. I skeedadled after that.
The drive back to the hotel was nice. I stopped at Kohls to buy a crock pot and HEB to get groceries for Sunday for the family. They are joining me in the morning. I wish I still had more time alone. Oh, did I say that?
I always hope I will be missed and appreciated more for what I do when I leave like this. I hope our reunion tomorrow is a nice one. The kids were excited to talk to me on the phone last night. I can't wait to hug them all! I sure love my husband and my little family!
Oh, when I got to the hotel last night it was a crazy party!!! There had been a wedding and a high school reunion here! There was a live band playing (crazy sleezy drunks) and the place was packed!
I went out to the Sea Wall and it's always so beautiful at the beach at night. The moon was large and hanging low and the waves were coming in fast. I took a short stroll down the Sea Wall walkway and turned to look at a hotel, right when I turned back to look at the ocean again, I turned just in time to catch a beautiful shooting star shooting across the sky. Magical. I know my Heavenly Father loves me!

3 comments:

Beazer said...

That sounds absolutely divine! Q wanted to know why I kept laughing out loud to your "This is the life" post. Maybe because it hits so close to home! I keep talking about needing to get away for some alone time, but you actually did it -- good for you! If only my stars would align...

Unknown said...

wow. that sounds amazing. you deserve it more than anyone i know!!! i miss beaches so much...

Jean McKendrick said...

How wonderful you got to get away! You are as cute as ever!