Thursday, January 27, 2011

I'm a housewife?

The other day I had to sign my name on some legal document for Dave for who knows why (wait, should I have read over that before signing it?!!) and I noticed that Dave had check marked the box for me that said "housewife."

When I saw that I cringed and felt a crustiness brewing within. Not towards Dave but towards the term. Housewife? Stay-at-home Mom? Is that what we ARE? Hey world, did you know I am actually not married to a house, I am married to a husband? And did you know that I actually don't stay at home that much? Did you know us "stay-at-homers" probably get out more and see more of the city and the world than you think?

I just wonder why us housewives are looked down on so much. (Not really, I do know why... but why are people falling for it?) I mean we are as capable and intelligent and well rounded as all get out. So where is the due respect for our labors of love?

As I layed in bed the other night I tried to think of a label for us that would be more deserving. Don't laugh, well okay you can laugh, but I'm serious here! And yes, it was hard to find words for a title that is so great and all encompassing, but I came up with a few...

How about:

The Master of Many Skills
Or
The One Who Taught You Everything You Know and Are
Or
The Intelligent Altruistic One
Or
The Sacred Bearer of All of You
Or
The One Who Does Hard Things, Wisely Knowing It Brings The Greatest Joys, Fullest Potentials And All Sorts Of Progression

Whaddayathink?

Maybe we should get together and talk about a revolution of sorts, like getting rid of those lame-o labels? All in favor?

(Funny thing just now. My specialized, very intellectual, orthodontist career man husband just read this post. Bless his heart, when he got to the part where I said "intelligent and well rounded as all get out" he corrected me and said it is actually "as I'll get out." Wha? So we argued a sec and then looked it up on the internet... and the answer is.... AS ALL GET OUT!!! Give it up for the housewife!)

So I'll be signing off now, finishing up, moving on or maybe I should just say good-bye "as I'll get out." Peace!

4 comments:

Dan said...

What is all this writing talk? Don't you have a cake to bake or dishes to wash barefoot or something?

Cooper Squared said...

Ha ha. I loved this. I actually prefer homemaker. Houses just happen, homes do not. They take a lot of work.

Kellie said...

LOL, I really did laugh out load. April you are so funny. It's been years, but I still miss you and that great sense of humor!!!! Love you.

Noelle and Corey said...

You are absolutely right! Those are all great, well-deserved titles for the roles we have!
And husbands are hilarious with grammar sometimes. Corey always said, "tie you over" instead of "tide," and I still have to correct him sometimes!