Sunday, August 15, 2010

Isaac Turns 8, His Reflections on Baptism



What did you do to prepare to be baptized? “I thought about the Book of Mormon when we read it together as a family and if I would like to be baptized and I thought yes. As a family we talked about baptism. At night my Mom and Dad would let me ask my questions about baptism and we discuss them. I met with the Bishop and it was very fun. He said they expected a lot from me. He asked if I believed in Joseph Smith, The Book of Mormon and Jesus. I said yes I do.”

Did you go anywhere special before your baptism? “Yes I did. I went to a Mexican Restaurant with my Mom and Dad. We dressed like church. I ate a fajita and it was delicious. Afterwards we went to a trail and my Mom and Dad gave me my scriptures and they rock. We talked about my life- when I was in heaven, when I went through the veil, and then you would get baptized, then get the Aaronic priesthood, the Melchizedek priesthood, go on a mission and go to the temple. We went to a trail because we pretended like it was the good straight trail and the woods were Satan. I felt normal but cool.”

What did you wear when you were baptized? “I wore a white jumpsuit and I had to inside out my underwear so they were white. I wore all white because it’s good, kinda spiritual, like Jesus."
What did you think of the talks at your baptism? “They were good. My Grandpa Ferguson talked about a milestone in my life. My Grandma Vinton talked about a comforter like Bluey.”

At what time during your baptism did you feel the Holy Ghost? “When me and Daddy were getting ready for the baptism. (When they were alone in the dressing room before going into the water.) When I was baptized I felt normal like I was getting into a swimming pool. I felt the Sprit very very very strong when I was getting the gift of the Holy Ghost. I knew it was the Holy Ghost because I had never felt it that strong in my life before.”



What did you do after your baptism? “We went to Mamafloni’s and it was really like a restaurant. The food was great. I loved it.” (Mamafloni’s is a pretend restaurant put on by Mom and Dad).


Did getting baptized and receiving the Holy Ghost make you act any different? “Yeah, when I got out I felt like I needed to read the scriptures a lot and it really changed my life.”

What happened the next day, Sunday? “The Bishop called me up and I got my own Book of Mormon and there was a note in it saying that they really liked me and that note was his testimony. That night I read a lot of scriptures. My brothers asked me to play the wii that morning and I told them no, it’s Sunday and we’re not allowed to play video games on Sunday and then they said okay. At church I helped Mason be reverent and it was the best Sunday of his life. He listened to the talks and I read him some scriptures and he was really quiet and really good. He’s always been a good little brother.”

From Isaac’s journal entries:
Aug. 7th before being baptized: “Today I am getting BAPTISED. My grandma and grandpa Vinton our here and grandma and granpa Ferguson are Here!! :)


Aug. 15th one week after his baptism: “I was Baptised all my granma and granmas came when I was baptized. I was SOAEKED!!!!!! The water was warm it felt good. I felt good and I thought about it to. When I was baptized I Felt the spirit. And I prayed. And it changed my hole life :).

6 comments:

Claudia said...

What a sweet and wonderful post, April! Isaac is such a good boy, and a great example for his devoted brothers. It was a pleasure and a joy to be there with you all for his special day. We love you guys.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Congrats Isaac! I wish we could have been there with you to celebrate your special day. We all miss you!

Home said...

aw, thank you for posting all of that! What a wonderful day and an amazing little fella. So awesome to hear his little testimony, you and dave are doing such a great job building his rock foundation.

Jean McKendrick said...

Awesome, congratulations Isaac! We get to go to Logan's baptism on Sunday, wish we could've been there for yours. I can't believe all you boys are turning 8 this year.

sjchunko said...

What a special memory for all of you, and to have your family with you too! You must be so proud of him. Yay for Isaac!

Noel said...

I love that you did that little interview. He is so sweet. I wish we could have been there! We thought of him at Damon's baptism last month.
PS--You look SOOO radiant and beautiful (not kidding) in the teenie, tiny pregnancy shot I got of you. COngrats on your baby GIRL! Good luck with all of that upcoming fun.