Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Awesome Bread

While we lived in Colorado I met a friend who made the best bread ever! So after a few months of pestering her for the recipe she gave it to me. It must be a no fail recipe because I am not an expert bread maker and my first batch even turned out well. I grind the wheat (white wheat) in my wheat grinder and use it right away, doubling the recipe. I love it because it isn't super crumbly, it's soft, and it only has to rise one time. I like that is uses olive oil and honey. This recipe is so easy that I made 5 loaves after dinner tonight. Now that's saying something- I'm usually done with my day by then (meaning I'm fried and have signed out!).
So here it is for anyone who wants to try it too:
2 1/2 c. warm water
1 1/2 T. yeast
2 heaping T. gluten*
2 T. dough enhancer*
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. honey
5 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (I use white wheat)
1 scant T. salt

*I believe these are the secret ingredients. You can buy them at health food stores or online.

Place all the ingredients in a Bosch mixer. Add the ingredients in the order listed in the recipe. Mix for 1 minute on speed #1. Then mix for 5 minutes on speed #3. Form into loaves- you don't need to let it rise before doing this. You can spray Pam cooking spray on the counter so it doesn't stick. Place loaves in sprayed bread pans. Spray the top and let it rise until doubled. Bake at 375' for 20-30 min. Double the recipe, slice the bread and then freeze it. This recipe makes 3 small loaves or 2 large loaves. When doubled it makes 3 small loaves and 2 large loaves, obviously. Or you can make 4 small loaves and two trays of breadsticks.

To make cinnamon breadsticks with this recipe roll the dough and pat it into a rectangle. Spread melted butter on top and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist them before placing them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 min. Freeze the extras. You can also make plain breadsticks and rolls.

Delish! Thanks Tammy!!!

No comments: