Sunday, January 1, 2012

almost robbed?

Christmas night at 10:15pm Dave and I had just turned all the lights off in the house and were getting into bed when there was a knock at the door. I wondered if our neighbors needed help or something? Dave immediately felt something was fishy and told me to stay in our room and get the cell phone handy. I've never felt unsafe in our neighborhood. It's the most suburbian, least ghetto place you could imagine. By the time Dave got to the door the person had knocked once more, and then also rang the dang doorbell. It ticks me off when anyone rings my doorbell because we have a note taped over the doorbell that specifically says "please knock." Dave got to the door and asked without opening it, "who is it?" Some guy said his name. We didn't know him. Dave then asked, "what do you want?" The guy then asked if we had seen his lost dog. Ok, lost dog at 10:15pm Christmas night? Knocking on our door with all our lights off and then being so urgent as to ring our doorbell??? And not only that, but he didn't go to our neighbor's houses, but got in a car full of 3 other men that had its lights off and then turned around and drove away. I texted my neighbor who said she hadn't had anyone knock on their door, and she added that all of their lights were on. So putting all of the pieces together, we decided it was a car full of men, looking to break into someone's home and rob them of all their new Christmas gifts while they were away at a Christmas party or on vacation! Why else would they have knocked repeatedly and rang the doorbell when they knew they shouldn't have except to make sure no one was home before they broke in?? Need I say Dave and I were a bit spooked? We reported the incident to the police. Interestingly we had just gotten home about an hour earlier from having Christmas dinner with some friends. What if we had stayed later? The day would have ended as a disturbing Christmas! I'm so grateful we got home in time. I'm so grateful Dave had a feeling of warning as he heard the first knock. I'm so glad he didn't open the door. I'm so glad nothing happened!

1 comment:

Jean McKendrick said...

Wow, I am so glad you guys are safe and didn't get robbed. Scary!!